Blood Orange Chocolate Brownies
9 oz. Bittersweet chocolate chips
2/3 c. Olio Blood Orange Olive Oil
2/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. orange zest
2 tsp. baking soda
½ c. All Purpose flour
½ c. almonds and/or walnuts, ground in food processor, or chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan with butter.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, slowly melt chocolate until smooth. Stir in Olio Blood Orange Olive Oil. Set aside to slightly cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, nuts (if using), sugar, orange zest. Add the chocolate mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Fold in the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Check at 30 minutes with atoothpick. The toothpick should come out clean for the brownies to be ready.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes before unmolding onto a cooling rack or allow to completely cool in pan before cutting into squares.
- Serve with Chocolate Balsamic Whipped Cream (see recipe)
Recipe by Beth Scanlon, CC, Food Fare Carterers, adapted from Midpress Olive Oil