Gluten-Free Rosemary Rustic Bread
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch (not potato flour!)
1/2 cup millet flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/ 1/4 tsp. Olio Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary or 2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cup warm water (at 110 degrees F)
A pinch of raw sugar
4 Tbsp. Olio Rosemary Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. honey or raw agave nectar (this helps bind and keep texture moist)
1/2 tsp. mild rice vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 free range egg, beaten, or Ener-G Egg Replacer , mixed
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- Whisk together the flours and dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, including fresh chopped rosemary.
- Proof the yeast in warm water and pinch of sugar.
- When the yeast is foamy, pour the mixture into the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil, honey, vinegar, and egg or egg replacer.
- Stir to combine. The dough should be sticky, it doesn't really feel like typical wheat bread dough- more like a thick muffin batter.
- Scoop the dough into a 9-inch cake pan dusted with cornmeal.
- Using wet hands pat and shape the dough into a rounded loaf.
- Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and fresh garlic; and a little Olio Himalayan Pink Sea Salt .
- Place the pan into the warm oven and allow it to rest and rise for 20 minutes. Turn on the oven to 375ºF.
- Start timing the baking when the oven comes up to temperature. Once the oven is 375 degrees F, put the timer on for 25 minutes. Bake until golden and firm.
- Remove from the pan as soon as you can and cool it on a wire rack. Slice with a sharp bread knife.
Recipe adapted by Beth Scanlon, CC, Food Fare Carterers, from Gluten-free Goddess.com