Persian Lime Olive Oil Gelato
3 c. milk
1 c. heavy cream
6 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. Olio Persian Lime Olive Oil
- In a saucepan, over medium-heat, whisk together the milk and cream. Cook until bubbles form around the edges of the saucepan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and sugar on med-high speed. Whisk until thick and tripled in volume, 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to med-low, drizzle in the Olio Persian Lime Olive Oil slowly until combined. Occasionally scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly add the cooked hot milk, ¼ cup at a time. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisk with a handheld whisk until combined.
- Place pan over med-low heat to continue to cook, whisking constantly until mixture coats the back of a spoon or a candy thermometer reads 175 degrees F, about 15 minutes.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl. Place bowl in another bowl filled with ice and cold water. Cool down to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions.
- Transfer the gelato to a chilled container, cover and freeze until firm, 3 hours, before serving.