Pumpkin Chestnut & Farro Soup
2 -12oz. packages dried farro
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, diced ¼”
3 celery stalks, diced ¼”
2 carrots, diced ¼”
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 c. Olio Chipotle Olive Oil
2 c. white wine
Olio Himalayan Pink Sea Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
32 oz. chicken stock, heated (homemade or box)
2 c. pumpkin, canned and pureed
2 - 3.5 oz. pkgs. roasted chestnuts, shelled, finely chopped
Grated parmesan cheese, as needed
Olio Porcini Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions and garlic in Olio Chipotle Olive Oil until soft and slightly browned. Add other vegetables. Sauté until tender.
- Stir in farro and allow farro to absorb the liquid from oil and vegetables. Add white wine, Allow farro to absorb the wine. Add tomato paste, stir.
- In another pot, warm the chicken stock and add the pumpkin puree to the stock. Stir.
- Finely chopped the chestnuts and add to the farro mixture.
- Gradually add warm chicken stock to the farro mixture, 2 ladles at a time. Let the farro absorb the stock before adding more liquid.
- Season with Olio Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Continue adding stock until farro is tender, but has a little bite. Adjust liquid consistency to desired soup thickness. (Add more wine, chicken stock or hot water, if needed).
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese and drizzle of Porcini olive oil.
Recipe by Beth Scanlon, CC, Food Fare Carterers